Personal Data We Collect
For Users only browsing our website (missiveapp.com), we collect the following anonymous information:
- Browser and device data, such as operating system and browser name, screen dimensions, device manufacturer.
- Usage data, such as time spent on our website, pages visited, and the pages that led or referred Users to our website.
- We do NOT collect or store any data if a visitor has Do Not Track enabled.
In addition, we collect the following information from Users who register to the App:
- Account information, such as email address, password or third-party login token;
- Contact data, such as name, mailing address and phone number;
- Billing data, such as credit card number (stored by our payment service provider) and billing address;
- Data imported from Users external channels, such as emails, address book contacts, calendar events, SMS and other messaging data stored in services like Gmail, Office 365, IMAP, Twilio, Facebook, Twitter, Asana, Pipedrive and Todoist;
- Data created by Users from within Missive, such as chat comments, uploaded files and messages sent to external channels.
- Internet Protocol (IP) address.
We collect personal data from Users only if they voluntarily submit such data to us. Users can always refuse to supply personal data, although this may prevent them from using related App features.
How We Use Personal Data
Missive does not sell personal data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes or for serving advertisements. We collect data for the sole purpose of providing an App that lets Users manage the data in question. We have no interest in collecting non-anonymized data from anyone who isn’t a registered User of the App.
We will not transfer any Users data to others unless doing so is necessary to provide and improve the App’s functionality, comply with applicable law, or as part of a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets.
Examples of how we use collected data to offer App functionality include:
- Synchronizing data from Users external channels to be displayed in the App’s interface. Data synchronization happens continuously, regardless of Users being online (actively using the App) or offline, for purposes such as sending notifications to Users mobile devices. After a continuous period where a User does not actively use the App, we stop synchronizing their data.
- Delivering data to Users external channels, only as explicitly requested by Users. Data delivery may happen immediately upon Users request, at a later date scheduled by Users, or automatically upon events such as an incoming message (auto-responders) in accordance with Users chosen parameters.
In addition to providing our App’s main functionality, we may use Users personal data for the following purposes:
To improve customer service
Personal data helps us respond to customer service requests and support needs more efficiently.
To influence our App’s direction and features
We may use data in aggregate to understand how our Users as a group use the services and resources provided on our App.
To improve our App
We may use feedback Users provide to improve our products and services.
To process payments
Credit card data is stored to facilitate recurring payments of subscriptions to the App. Credit card data is stored for the whole duration of Users subscriptions. The storage or credit card data is implemented by our payment service provider, Stripe.
To send periodic emails
We may use email addresses to send Users data and updates pertaining to their usage of the App. It may also be used to respond to their inquiries, questions, and/or other requests.
Missive’s use and transfer to any other app of information received from Google APIs will adhere to the Google API Services User Data Policy, including the Limited Use requirements.
How We Store And Protect Personal Data
Missive being a collaborative application, Users data is stored on our servers. This allows Users to access their data from different devices or locations and also to easily share their data with other Users.
We do not allow humans to read Users personal data, unless:
- We first obtained the User’s affirmative agreement for specific messages or data;
- It is necessary for security purposes (such as investigating a bug or abuse);
- It is necessary to comply with applicable law; or
- Our use is limited to internal operations and the data (including derivations) have been aggregated and anonymized.
How We Share Collected Data
We do not sell, trade, or rent Users personal data to others. We may use third-party service providers to help us operate our business and the App or administer activities on our behalf; these companies are authorized to use Users personal data only as necessary to provide these services to us:
- Email communications. We use third-party providers to send Users emails related to their usage of Missive, such as invites, password resets and new feature announcements. As part of this, Users email addresses and limited personal data, such as name and company name, are shared with these email service providers.
- Cloud computing infrastructure. We do not manage physical servers ourselves, so we host the App and Users data in third-party data centers. All data we store uses encryption-at-rest to strengthen security within the provider’s premises. You can read more about our security practices here.
- Payment processing. We delegate the processing of credit card payments to a certified third-party provider. This provider stores Users credit card and billing information as necessary to process recurring payments and generate related invoices, receipts and credit notes.
- Community management. We use a third-party provider to host our roadmap and feature planning forum. Users can optionally connect to this platform to suggest, comment and upvote feature requests. As part of this process, Users email address and name are shared with the third-party platform.
- Error reporting. We use a third-party provider to track software bugs happening to logged in Users. The email address of affected Users is shared with the provider so our engineers can associate bugs to Users and provide a fast and appropriate response. Thirty days following the occurrence of a bug, Users data is deleted from the provider’s storage.
All third-party providers described above are listed as subprocessors on our GDPR page.
Right To Access
Users have the right to access, correct and delete their personal data at any time. Please refer to How to delete my Missive user account? for a detailed self-served process to delete all your personal data from Missive.
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of Users personal data, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our App.
Sensitive and private data exchange between the App and its Users happens over a TLS secured communication channel (also known as SSL) and is encrypted and protected with digital signatures.
You can read more about our security practices here.
Web Browser Cookies
If Users register to our App or our mailing list, we may send them emails about company news, updates, related product or service information, etc. Users always have the right to opt out of these email communications.
Users Acceptance Of These Terms
By using this App, Users signify their acceptance of this policy. If Users do not agree to this policy, they should not use our App. Users continued use of the App following the posting of changes to this policy will be deemed their acceptance of those changes.
GDPR and Data Processing Agreement
Missive is fully compliant with the European Union GDPR privacy law. To learn more or to request a Data Processing Agreement, visit this page.
Heliom inc. is located at:
95 rue St-Joseph Est, studio 205
Quebec, QC, Canada
Last updated on September 15, 2021.